Re: Fans revisited

To: DANMAS@aol.com, Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fans revisited
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 23:24:22 -0800
Dan :

DANMAS@aol.com wrote:
<snip>
> ... I wonder how many of the
> folks on this list have EVER had their engine up to 5000RPM?  Show of hands,
> please!  I wonder how many even routinely run the engines over 3500 RPM (app
> 75 mph in 4th)?
<snip>

I regularly rev my TR3 up to (and occasionally beyond) 5K (indicated).
I've even been to 5K (indicated) in 4th OD (which should be around 125
mph).  Don't know how fast I was actually going, but the 5.0 Mustang I
was racing could just barely pull away on the straight.  He had to back
off at the least little curve tho ... would have been real interesting
on a closed track.

Of course, usually I stay pretty close to the posted speed limit.  My
insurance is high enough ! <g>

Randall

BTW, I don't buy the 'cube law' for fan resistance.  It ignores the fact
that the air is being forced past the fan by the car moving through the
air.  The ridiculous figures quoted for fan/alternator power consumption
also ignore the fact that, on most cars, the fan/alternator is driven by
a single V belt that is not capable of carrying more than 2-3 horsepower
for any length of time.  That's why heavy duty alternators are usually
equipped with dual belts.