Re: Fans revisited

To: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@vic.bigpond.net.au>
Subject: Re: Fans revisited
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 01:37:44 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I don't have my old calculus book handy, but I'm pretty sure Y=X^2 was
the very first example of an exponential function.

And, the losses between the flywheel and the road are probably mostly
proportional to power.  So, for your example of 105hp at the flywheel
and 95 at the rear wheels, an added 5hp at the flywheel would add only
4.5 at the rear wheels.  IOW the percentage increase is the same,
whether measured at the road or at the flywheel.

I believe the drivetrain losses are a lot closer to 10% than 50%.
Otherwise, the diff & tranny would get a lot hotter than they do, and
need more cooling.  I've seen the measurements somewhere, just can't
remember where.

OTOH, it's worth noting that most car manufacturers now use ATF instead
of 90W, apparently to reduce friction to the oil.  The racers seem fond
of 5W synthetic gear oil, but again I have no hard numbers on how much
difference it makes.

Randall