How does the 2 speed wiper switch work?

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: How does the 2 speed wiper switch work?
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 15:34:17 -0500
Cc: Dan Masters <DANMAS@aol.com>, "INTERNET:Brad.Kahler@141.com" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Well, I got the motor out.  It is TOUGH getting the cable off! You
have to be able to open the top of the gear box to get the arm off
the cable.  You have to be able to pull the motor and gearbox out
to get the top off, and so on in a circle.

I got the thing out and found that the gears were in good shape,
but the grease was more like tar.  I cleaned it all out and
now the gear moves well.

The switch works like this:

OFF neither wire is grounded.
SLOW:  One wire is grounded (I forget which)
FAST:  Both wires are grounded.

The GREEN wire is hot when in the IGN position

The gearbox cover has a 270 degree metal
cap like the TR3/4

There is a finger on the eccentric pivot touching the cap.
When turned off the cap completes the ground until it leaves
the metal section.  It looks like it will run at slow speed until
it goes off when the wiper switch is turned off.

Now to test the motor!!!

Tomorrow!

Wish me luck.

-Tony