Re: TR6 conks out, quick question...

To: DavHill@email.msn.com, gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 conks out, quick question...
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:33:22 EST
Gernot,

I can add to Dave's condensor theory from real experience.....condensors
nearly always look "OK" upon inspection but the symptoms you describe happened
to me years ago on my '70 MGB...to the letter....abrupt dead cutout.

If I recall correctly, when the condensor is shorting to ground, your spark
suppression across the points as the coil field collapses is replaced with a
voltage short to ground and no spark to the plugs.  I know that a new
condensor solved the problem.  Several years later I read about this
phenominon (sp?) in a Popular Science collection of stories from Gus Wilson.

Good luck.....

Chip Krout