Re: Extra Steering Column Part

To: denseboy@bga.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Extra Steering Column Part
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 08:13:35 -0800
Art,
That c shaped clip goes between the dash column bracket and the ignition
switch clamp.  I'm not sure of its intended purpose but I do know that it
determines how for back to move the steering column and made the ignition
switch line up properly to the bottom of the dash.

If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

By the way, one of the pages in the TRF catalog does show this part.

Dave,
San Diego, Ca
1970 TR6

I am in the process of installing the steering column in my 1976 TR6. I=

removed it in
order to install an overdrive switch and to replace the nylon bushings =
and
felt pads.
But, I have to admit, I=92ve always wanted to take it apart - I don=92t=
 know
why.
Removal and disassembly went fairly well and the installation is
progressing. However, I
seem to have an =93extra=94 part. It is a =93C=94 shaped piece of iron =
about one
inch wide and
an eighth of an inch thick. It can fit over the steering column if you
start at either
end - it is definitely not semi-circular. This part is not shown in any=
 of
my repair
manuals or in the vendor parts catalogues. TRF technical support was no=
familiar with
it. If I had to guess, I would put it under or near the front (firewall=
)
seal retainer.
I don=92t think it will be a problem if I leave it off, I just hate hav=
ing
extra parts.
Any insight will be appreciated!

Art Graves