TR6 Diff Mount Repairs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Diff Mount Repairs
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 18:36:12 -0800
Hi all.

I contacted a couple of mobile welders here in the Bend area today to see
about having them weld up my diff mount and add the reinforcement bracket.

Basically, these guys are saying $50 an hour.  That sounds reasonable to me
for an hourly rate, but these guys haven't done this specific job before
and obviously cannot be expected to know how long it would take.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has any estimate of how long it should
take assuming that all the metal is already cleaned up, all necessary fuel
lines are adequately protected and the diff, axles and exhaust removed.  In
other words, all the welder would have to do is go straight to welding up
the crack and then weld in the reinforcing plates.

Is this a two hour job?  3 hours?  1 hour?  Any guesses?

I've talked to another guy here in Bend that does LBC restoration and HAS
repaired these mounts before and therefore is familiar with them, and he
says his best guess is that, assuming that all he had to do was weld, it
might cost as much as $200.

This seems high, but I'm not a welder so how the Hell do I know!??

Thanks for all your input!

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6