Re: Vinyl Adhesive for cockpit surround

To: Bush4brits@aol.com
Subject: Re: Vinyl Adhesive for cockpit surround
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 07:22:57 -0800
Cc: miket@urgrgcc.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Bob,

> I'm using DAP Weldwood contact cement for my TR3A interior also.<
<snip>
> Should I be concerned about the longevity of the contact cement? <

I used this on the last resto of my car, 20 years ago. It was a bear to
pull loose most of the pieces this time around, only a few places had
come loose and some of the vinyl tore to shreds before the glue let go!

>Were the
> surfaces that you worked on clean? <

Yes, fresh paint in most cases.

>When I pulled off the old vinyl, I noticed
> that they were VERY generous about applying the vinyl on the interior of the<

I was equally generous!

I used the batting on the car's dashboard cover (no one was making
replacements in those days) and noticed the vinyl got more wrinkles and
loosened up there. It worked pretty well for 20 years, but I would
probably do it differently this time around, if I were attempting to
reuse the original dash top.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L