Re: Tech ?? Spitfire/TR6 steering rack commonalities/differences?

To: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Subject: Re: Tech ?? Spitfire/TR6 steering rack commonalities/differences?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 19:08:14 -0500 (EST)
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Gambony, Jim wrote:

> I know that based on external dimensions the Spitfire and TR6 steering racks
> are identical.  Does anyone know if different ratios were available?

FWIW, TR6 (and, I believe, back to the TR4) used a rack with 3.25 turns
lock-to-lock. The "normal" Herald/Spitfire rack was more like 3.75 turns
LTL, and GT6s were something like 4.25 turns LTL.

> I have a friend back east that has trashed his TR6 rack and has access to
> several Spitfire racks.  He's saying that he's seen reference to a "quick
> ratio" rack for the Spitfire....  but doesn't know if that means the stock
> Spit rack is "slower" than the TR6 and someone is offering a TR6 rack as an
> "enhancement" for the Spitfire.

See above. But note also that Moss Europe began advertising brand-new
fast-ratio steering racks -- 2.5 turns LTL -- for TRs late in 1997.
Perhaps Moss USA carries or can get them? Then they were advertised as
"From only [ukp]152.75 inc. V.A.T." (I'd think one either would need good
arms and shoulders or would develop them quickly to use in a TR or even a
GT6!) :-)

--Andy