Re: Tech ?? Spitfire/TR6 steering rack commonalities/differences?

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Tech ?? Spitfire/TR6 steering rack commonalities/differences?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 19:59:45 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Andrew Mace wrote:

> > I know that based on external dimensions the Spitfire and TR6 steering racks
> > are identical.  Does anyone know if different ratios were available?
>
> FWIW, TR6 (and, I believe, back to the TR4) used a rack with 3.25 turns
> lock-to-lock. The "normal" Herald/Spitfire rack was more like 3.75 turns
> LTL, and GT6s were something like 4.25 turns LTL.

The early TR4 uses a 2.5 turn rack; I think the 4A uses a 3 or 3.25.

> See above. But note also that Moss Europe began advertising brand-new
> fast-ratio steering racks -- 2.5 turns LTL -- for TRs late in 1997.
> Perhaps Moss USA carries or can get them? Then they were advertised as
> "From only [ukp]152.75 inc. V.A.T." (I'd think one either would need good
> arms and shoulders or would develop them quickly to use in a TR or even a
> GT6!) :-)

I think these are copies of the early '4 racks.

Yes, your arms get bigger, though not as much as driving an '81 Camaro
with-no-power-steering-pump.

Yes, you get into a 'normal' car and are instantly shocked by the huge
amount of effort to turn corners.

Even my Chevette feels big after the TR4... I love it.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm