Wrinkle paint woes...

To: JoEllisTR3@aol.com
Subject: Wrinkle paint woes...
From: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:46:48 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>We are having trouble getting the black wrinkle paint to work properly on the
>center dash console (TR3). We purchased the paint from Moss. The fellow
>painting the dash console for me has tried three times with poor results. The
>paint is far too wrinkled (large scale wrinkles, unlike the original small
>subtle wrinkles). I know it is very temperature sensitive., but he swears he
>is following the directions on the can.

>One more question, is it best to remove the gauges, or let sleeping dogs lie?
>I don't want to risk breaking the gauge lenses, but perhaps the paint would
>work better if the gauges weren't there to "pool" the paint around them. Any
>thoughts?

Krylon makes a wrinkle black that works well, with very fine wrinkle finish. All
the old paint should be removed prior to spray as it will react with the
undercoat.  So, looks like the gauges will need to come off.  The only problem
one is the temp gauge which is permanently attached to the capillary tube, so
maybe you could just pull that one out some (completely remove the rest)  and
paint around it. Also don't spray when it's  cold as that will affect the
wrinkle finish.  Should be fairly warm.  Try a piece of junk metal first.  Good
luck.