Odometer Resetting - An Ethical Question??

To: TR Newsgroup <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Odometer Resetting - An Ethical Question??
From: Gary Klein <gklein@toad.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 21:32:20 -0500
Fellow Scions,

I've been working at restoring my '75 TR6 for a little over 2 years now
and it's been a long haul but the light at the end of the tunnel is
starting to get a bit brighter, day by day.  As the dash and gauges will
be going back together in the near future, I've been pondering the
question of what to do, if any, about the odometer?

I will have completely rebuilt just about everything when I'm done
(engine, tranny, clutch, body, paint, interior, etc, etc,) and I intend
on keeping and using this car for quite some time, 5-10 years at least.
The speedometer read 16K and a few miles when I bought it (I assumed
116K+) and I put a few miles on it before I tore it down.  Upon
disassembly of the speedometer to clean the face (BTW the Endust trick
works great) I noticed a handwritten date and what appears to be a
mileage statement written in pencil on the inside of the back cover.
The date was long after 1975, '87 if I recall, and the mileage was
somewhere in the 80K range.  Needless to say, I don't know how many
miles were on this car before I got it and perhaps the speedometer is
not the original either.

So here's my question for which I'd like to get your collective
reactions and thoughts:  As it's now about to be reborn, any thoughts
about resetting the odometer back to all zero's?  If it can be done, how
does one do it?  (it wasn't obvious to me when I took it apart and I
guess I don't have a criminal mind)

I'm not interested in any legal aspects here, just the ethics.  I'll
post a summary when all the correspondence is done.

Thanks,

Gary
Digest
'75 TR6 Undergoing Remanufacture