Re: Wheel Cylinder Fitting kit

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Wheel Cylinder Fitting kit
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 22:19:56 -0800
Cc: Ct54531@aol.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
>From page 449 of the Bentley reprint of the TR2/3 factory manual (should
be the same for solid axle TR4A) :

<begin quote>
(b) Refitting the Rear Wheel Cylinder
Mount the wheel cylinder on to the backplate with the neck through the
large slot.  Replace the distance piece between cylinder neck and
backplate, with the open end away from handbrake lever location.  The
two cranked lips must also be away from the backplate.
Insert the spring plate between the distance piece and backplate, also
with open end away from handbrake lever location and the two cranked
lips away from the backplate.
Replace handbrake lever.  Locate the retaining plate between the
distance piece and spring plate (open end towards the handbrake lever),
tap into position until the two cranked tips of the spring plate locate
in the retaining plate.
Fit the rubber dust cover.  Attach the pressure pipe union to the
cylinder and connection to the handbrake lever.  Replace the shoes,
brake drum, and bleed the system.  Finally re-fit wheels.
<end quote>

>From the diagram, it appears that the 'distance piece' is the smallest
of the three clips.  The 'retaining plate' is the one with the notches
in the back edge.  The 'spring plate' is the other large clip.

Randall