TR6 ign switch removal - success

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 ign switch removal - success
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 14:30:08 -0500
Thanks to all those who provided advice on how to remove the
ignition switch and steering lock assembly from a TR6.  As many
explained to me, the bolts which hold the two halves of the clamp
onto the steering shaft have heads which are torqued off at
installation.  There were several suggestions about how to get the
headless bolts out, but I took Bob Danielson's advice and used a
Dremel tool to cut slots in the top of the wide, flat shoulder on
each bolt.  Then I backed the bolts out with a short screwdriver.
It worked like a charm.  I had been looking for an excuse to buy a
Dremel!

When I got the old asembly out I could see that the DPO had tried
to hacksaw through the clamp in two places but had given up.  No
telling what I would have resorted to without the advice of the list.
You folks are great.

Tim Gaines
1980 Spitfire
1974 TR6