Re: Spot Welding

To: F Underwood <funder77@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Spot Welding
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 23:21:14 +0100
Cc: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, 2000 Register <2000-register@autox.team.net>
Greetings, F,

The unit has been 'resting' in a workshop for years. I stripped it,
cleaned it up and got it working.
The timer box has three major components-a solid state relay(?), a
solenoid and a transformer (220v in 4v out).
There is a potentiometer marked 0-270 and Sealey told me that at 90-110,
it should weld 2x 0.8mm sheet.
With the pot. set at 270, the unit will just about weld that thickness
of clean, scrap sheet but the welds are small (3mm). It seems that
either the unit lacks power or that welding heat is beiong lost.
I've used a Machine Mart tip dresser which cuts the tips in a
hemispherical pattern and they're clean too. However, the electrodes are
a litle short-the 125mm one is 110 mm long and the 50mm one is 45mm
long. Could this be allowing heat back into the arms too readily?

I appreciate your help and any other ideas you may have,

Thanks,

David Hill