best rust killer?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: best rust killer?
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 19:35:27 EDT
Hi List,
On my CA TR4 I've scraped 30 year old gobs of grease/dirt and a my share of
rust out of the engine compartment, interior floors & up under the dash, the
entire undercarriage and suspension and in the trunk.. with a tiny 'jewelers'
screwdriver ..well ok it was a three quarter inch putty knife but ... whew I
must want this car!
I have two small areas of 'rust through' ... drivers left floor corner, and
passenger interior sill seam. I am hoping I don't have to do welding as I
think some fiberglasss mesh and some specialized 'rust inhibitor bondo' (NEW
on the market!) or a little 'tin and screw' work will be enough (strength of
areas seem sufficient) First I want to use some rust killer like 'Naval
Jelley', and then I think some 'Extend' brand rust killer paint.
Question to you good folks is two-fold:

1) I've heard and seen some restorers using a product called 'POR15' (and
other brands?) - a car restoration rust product that is a thick paint that
digests rust and then acts as paintable primer coat). Do you recommend it? my
only concern is it seems too thick and would be a bear to get bolts undone
later ..or scrape off in twenty years (25 years ago I swabbed my inside floor
pans with a tar based undercoating and boy that was a bear to get off last
few days to get at some rust).
So what do you think of POR 15?

2) My whole (body on frame), but 'stripped out' car is a foot up in the air
so I am limited in options but wondering if I should blast everything with
degreaser and water OR leave the fine layer of petrolem products as rust
protection. (I don't exactly want to soak every crevice of the car with
chemicals and water but would like to paint some exposed metal areas on the
frame and panels.
Any thoughts on this one?

*Any response welcome except remarks about the three quarter inch putty knife
scraping being the hardest way to clean an entire car! ;-)

Regards
Carl
'64 TR4 since '74