RE: missing on start

To: "'Gary Nafziger'" <naffy@netins.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: missing on start
From: jaltman@altlaw.com
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 06:34:00 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Try checking your valves.

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6#CC28754L  W4UCK

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net
[mailto:owner-triumphs@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Gary Nafziger
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 1999 12:09 AM
To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: missing on start

69 tr-6 with zenith carbs.  I have a problem that has slowly gotten worse.
Car has had 10-12 thousand miles of driving since any carb work/adjustment.
I get bad sputtering and cut out when just taking off from a start.  Also
happens some when lugging in too high a gear.  It seems at higher rpm it
runs fine.  Also I have noticed that when the car is cold it seems to run
better and gets worse as warms up.  When sputtering i sometimes floor it and
it REALLY gets bad and barely runs.  Taking it easy and slow usually helps.
The sputtering from start usually goes away in 50 feet and rpm's have built
up.

One problem I have in situations like this is to figure out if this is a
fuel or ignition problem.  Points look good. Plugs look the right color of
tan with NO oil on them.  Carbs have not been touched since tuned when car
was put together 10,000 miles ago.

Any suggestions?
                Gary, Frances Nafziger
                Wellman, Iowa