Re: Tool Purchase

To: ewcorco@erenj.com
Subject: Re: Tool Purchase
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 08:07:49 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 13 May 1999 ewcorco@erenj.com wrote:

> Questions - would the metric side cover all the potential needs of a TR6
> (I'm guessing not)?  If not, where can I find tools that would?  How much
> should I expect to spend for a good set?  Any suggestions as to where to
> start my search?  Sears?

I think you'll need SAE fine thread taps & dies too.  Given that Triumph
liked to keep using old stuff, and given that most of the bolts on my TR4
are UNF, then you'll probably need the fine sizes.

I paid $50 cdn for a Mastercraft made-overseas tap & die set.  Thes set
is normally $100 but now and then Canadian Tire does a half price sale.
The die handle is junk; buy a better one (lurk in the used tool places).
Sizes range from 4-40 to 1/2", and 3mm to 12mm.  Bonus 1/8NPT!

It has served me very well and I've only broken a tooth on one tap so far
(naturally, the 1/4 UNF one).  But it's no problem to buy just one tap of
the proper size, and then you've got a good one to go with the cheapies.

Don't throw out broken taps, they can be used for bottoming (this set came
with no blind or bottoming taps, so it is a bit limited).

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm