TR6 door check straps

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 door check straps
From: "Crouter, Bruce FI0" <bruce.crouter.fi0@govmail.gov.sk.ca>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 09:42:05 -0600
What I did was buy a lock for a wooden gate.  Just the simple kind that has
a piece of sheet metal with a slot in that goes over top of a loop of metal
that you can then put a padlock through (I know I didn't describe that very
well, if you look at the gate supplies in a hardware store you will know
what I mean).  If you find the right size, the little loop piece that the
padlock would go through fits right over top of the broken pieces on the
inside of the door.  All you need to do is put a couple of sheet metal
screws in the holes provided. Not OEM but I couldn't think of any other way.

On my recently acquired '71 TR6, both doors have had the check straps
replaced with a screw-and-webbing affair which isn't quite tight/strong
enough to keep the doors from swinging too wide (and starting to crease).

It looks like the mount on the door itself is what failed (and was removed).
Anybody have suggestions as to the best way to go about repairing this?  Do
I need to make and weld a new mount?  I note that the checkstraps are
available in the major catalogs, but it is not clear what to do about the
door mount.

Thanks,  Tom Goodwin