RE: ???quality hardware????

To: "'Shannon Cole'" <shang@sonet.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: ???quality hardware????
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 11:19:37 -0700
Shannon :

For the bolts, check the head for the strength rating.  You should find
either radial hash marks (3 marks indicate Grade 5, 5 marks indicate Grade
8) or a molded number like 8.8 (roughly Grade 5) or 12.10 (roughly Grade
8).  If they are marked at least Grade 5, go ahead and use them.

For many of the nuts, you will have no choice.  All of the Nyloc nuts
should be replaced, as they loose their holding power with age and removal.
 Also, most likely your new trunnion is not cross-drilled for cotter pins,
so you will need to use the new Nyloc nuts (or have them drilled for the
cotter pins and castellated nuts).  All lock washers should also be
replaced.

Otherwise, you can re-use the old hardware, if you prefer.  The TR3
suspension is actually pretty well designed, in terms of not putting a lot
of load on fasteners.  I just redid mine, replacing only lock washers,
Nyloc nuts, and obviously damaged bolts.  In my case, the bolts for the
upper A frame pivot were pretty well whacked, so I replaced them.

Randall