Alternator for TR6

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alternator for TR6
From: "Frank Biedermann" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 16:00:08 +0930charset="iso-8859-1"
After a 50 mile round trip at night with the TR6's lights, wipers,
and heater on the other night the battery was dead. I suspect that
the alternator is not keeping up with demand with the lights on, and
especially with all the other accessories on as well, which is not
terribly convenient with winter fast approaching down here. I also
suspect the the battery that is in it wasn't the best either.

My question is: does anyone out there know of an alternator that
could be used in place of the stock alternator of a '69 TR6 (ie
the one with the lowest current rating of the TR6 series - 15ACR?
is an alternator model number that springs to mind, but I don't
know if this is correct)? I've seen the alternator replacement
article on VTR (I think) but that specifies a GM alternator which
would probably not be available (easily) down here - does anyone
know of an alternator from an Australian car which would suffice
without too many mods? Alternatively, does anyone know the dimensions
of the stock alternator so I could ask a parts supply house what
would replace it...

Thanks in advance,

Frank Biedermann
69 TR6 PI