Re: Sandblast Cabinet Recommendations Needed

To: Karl Vacek <KVacek@Sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: Sandblast Cabinet Recommendations Needed
From: Jack McCarrick <jmccarr@iwaynet.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 05:41:03 -0400
Cc: TR Listserv <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Karl,
I got my blast cabinet from TIP last year and I don't think you have anything to
worry about concerning metal guage.  Half of restoration is metal working and
patching.  Cross that bridge if you ever come to it.   I agree with the comment
that a blast cabinet can make a world of difference in a project.  Generally
bigger is a good thing but even a small cabinet would be useful.  Available air
compressor volume in CFM is important no matter what the size cabinet.  You can
blast with a small compressor but you will beat it up.  When I was shopping I
was told 18 CFM was the recommended minimum compressor output.  Prior to the new
compressor I was blasting outside with about 6 cfm and had to frequently stop
and let the compressor cool down.  It would not have lasted much longer under
those conditions.

After a year the desirable cabinet features seem to be: amount of available
light, window size, door opening size (how big a piece can you actually get in),
and interior dimensions (how can you move the piece in the cabinet).  Tip had a
new (then) taller cabinet that I wanted but it was more than I was ready to pay.

If your anywhere near Northeastern Ohio you might find the trip to TIP
interesting.  I found that the in-store price was a little cheaper because it
did not have the shipping costs built in that the catalog has.  It's a nice tool
store. If you have not gotten one yet you can order their catalog through their
web site.

Jack McCarrick