TR3 Overheating?

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: TR3 Overheating?
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 15:48:31 -0400
Hi Folks,
Well, I'm in another quandary (other projects will have to wait - heater
replacement, valve noise, distributor springs, bikini top)
Seems the old thing is overheating.  Read on:
While I was putting in one of those new Moss Motors skirted thermostats, I
took the opportunity to "calibrate" the temp gauge.
The needle half way is 70C (158F), three-quarters is 90C (194F) and just
below the red zone is 98C (208F).  The last point was with the pan of water
boiling.  The Moss Motors sleeved thermostat started opening at 75C (167F),
BTW.
Both Haynes and Ball say the temp should not exceed 85C (185F)
OK, today with an ambient temp of 80F, we went on a 10 mile trip "round the
block" - country roads, zero traffic and I'm getting 90C.  Yesterday,
coming home from work, again an ambient of 80F, with moderate traffic,
stopping at traffic lights and such, it actually went into the red zone
until I could get to the open road.  Needless to say I was very worried
about doing some horrendous damage.
The question is: is this sort of normal for a TR3?
BTW, no matter how much coolant I put in, whenever I check  the level after
a run, it has always dropped to 1/4" from the bottom of the "long neck".
Let me tell you what I've done so far:
Replaced and properly tensioned the fan belt (Remember that!)
New coolant.
New rad cap.
New Castrol 20-50W.
New sleeved Moss thermostat.
Checked ignition timing.
Plugs - they look wonderful, with a nice tan brown color.
Installed two 12 oz overflow reservoirs for radiator (No, not beer cans!!)
The PO says the radiator was checked out.
There's zero sign of oil in the water and vice versa.
The cardboard deflector for the radiator is in place and looks in good
shape.
Rad hoses feel good.

According to Bob Schalers wonderful booklet (from TRF) I should be looking
at getting an oil cooler.  I'm assuming the front apron has to come off for
that installation. That seems major - anything easy I"ve missed?

Anyhows, any comments would be appreciated, as always,   Adrian