Re: TR3 Overheating?

To: AdrianJones@compuserve.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Overheating?
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 13:00:54 EDT
Adrian;

I'm curious as to what temp gauge you have installed in the TR3.  I've never
seen a 'red' zone.  Is it aftermarket?  Assumedly it is accurate since you
did check it out.

>From your comments, I assume that the car was running at an acceptable
temperature for a time period, then recently the temp seems to have gotten
higher?
Was this concurrent with increasing outside temperatures?

If it was running cooler previously and the temp increase was concurrent with
the installation of the 'new' skirted thermostat I would suspect a possible
malfunction of the T stat. I'd replace it, or just remove it for a test phase
of driving.

By your check list you've done a pretty thorough process of checking things
out in the cooling system.

I would definitely consider having a radiator shop check out the flow
characteristics of the radiator.  I believe this can be done 'in situ.'  If
you radiator is 25 or 35% blocked that might explain your problem.  Yes, it
might look fine but there is no substitute for the flow check.  The rad can
be cleaned out or recored with a modern Modine core if it is in poor shape.
The fact that you have a corroded heater core makes this a likely inquiry.

You indicated that you had installed two overflow bottles.  Did you also
install a sealing radiator cap so that you have a closed, siphon back system
?  The drop in coolant is perfectly normal with the stock cooling system set
up.  If you've made a closed system the coolant level is measured at the
overflow bottle, not in the radiator.  If you have not installed the closed
system it might be a good idea.
Shaller's book covers the process.  Pep Boys sells a kit too.

Before an oil cooler, I'd consider an electric fan mounted on the radiator.
Even in the best of  condition  heavy stop and go traffic, on hot tarmac,
with high ambient temps put lots of demand on a stock cooling system.  You
can set it up to operate at a preset temperature and or with a hand operated
switch on the dash.  Pep Boys sells a unit for less than $100.  Not too hard
to install through the grill either.

Have you recently replaced the water pump?  There was some talk about a
poorly designed aftermarket water pump being produced and sold just a couple
of years ago.  Too much space between the impellers and the housing making
for low pumping capacity.  Is it possible that you have one of those?

I went through this process about 6 years ago with my 59.  Very frustrating.
It's embarrassing to have your vehicle soil a parking place with disgusting
looking green bilious sludge at every opportunity.  I ended up doing it all,
radiator, electric fan, oil cooler before I was satisfied.  Then after a few
months of driving, the temp went through the roof again.  I was about to pull
the engine, suspecting totally blocked water jackets.  Then one day after a
real hot run, I  shut it off and left the electric fan run to cool it down a
bit while parked in the garage.  Thought 'wonder if there's some crap up
against the front of the radiator' so I peered into the grill to be greeted
by a blast of HOT air coming OUT of the grill !!  The electric fan was
pushing air the wrong way, because I had just switched the electric system
polarity when installing an electronic ignition which reversed the direction
of the fan motor !

Good Luck
Bob Paul
Corrales New Mexico