FW: American Racing Mags

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: American Racing Mags
From: "Paige, Dean" <DPaige@ci.santa-rosa.ca.us>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 15:27:18 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"

-----Original Message-----
From: Paige, Dean
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 1999 8:28 AM
To: 'Dave Terrick'; Tomislav Marincic; Triumph list
Subject: RE: American Racing Mags

Some of you have heard this. I must have the atypical set of American
Silverstone Mags. Came on my 67 TR-4a purchased out of a dealer in
Florida...optional equipment.  When I cracked it up in Southern Illinois. I
salvaged them. Mind you, this crash was a sideways skid after left rear tire
blew on a fast right curve that sent me hurtling across the roadway and
sidelong into the opposite side guardrail. The impact cracked the left
trailing arm in half and deformed the front left suspension as well. Both
mags and I survived the impact...somewhat cut and bruised albeit. That was
in 1972. They languished in my garage til 1975 when I decided to swap them
onto my 73 TR-6. Now 300,000 miles later there they still abide. This after
trips into Baha, 3000 mile cross country drives, back country mountain roads
in the Las Padres National Forest east of Santa Barbara, driving the car to
work or school almost every day of my life since 75 and two major additional
accidental impacts. I have just scraped off all the layers of paint and
clear coat down to metal polished the rim with steel wool and resprayed the
spokes black and a clearcoat on the rim. They are a bit pitted after all
these years but they shine up great and the scars and pitting only add to
their character and they really do add character to the Signal Red TR which
just returned to me from the shop ofter the latest of the crack ups already
reported on the list. Together the car and its wheels are truly a stunning
sight.

The real most obvoius way to tell magnesium from aluminum alloy is weight.
These puppies are really light. I've never weighed mine but I estimate 10
lbs or less per. Lighter than a gallon of milk. They have an absolutely
amazing effect on handling and road feel. Steering almost feels power
assisted. I dread the thought of anything happening to one of these
guys...only have four. Always looking for any single good wheel or more as
backup(s). hint hint. As for the  mags not lasting.....I guess its a matter
of experience....150 times the useful racing life and some 30+ years after
their manufacture mine are still stylin' down the road....now I have to go
find some wood to kock on.