Re: TR6 Clutch

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Clutch
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 16:56:52 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, ArthurK101@aol.com wrote to mporter@zianet.com,...:

> > What is the advantage of a hydraulic clutch?  Is it the old more parts
> > to wear out faster bit, or is there a reason?  Just wondering, I mean
> > the pedal is right there, it seems like a lot of trouble to run that
> > whole hydraulic system.
>
> Simple answer is that it requires less pedal pressure to operate the clutch.

That's not it.  A hydraulic clutch linkage doesn't inherently require less
pedal pressure.  Regardless of the linkage type (cable, rod & lever, or
hydraulic) pedal pressure is determined by the amount of leverage designed
into the system.

In a cable or rod & lever system this is determined by the length of the
lever formed by the clutch pedal relative to the length of the lever on
the throwout bearing cross shaft.  The shorter the lever at the pedal end
is relative to the lever on the throwout bearing cross shaft, the lower
the pedal pressure.

In a hydraulic system this is determined by the sise of the piston in the
clutch master cylinder relative to the size of the piston in the slave
cylinder.  The smaller in diameter the master cylinder is relative to the
slave cylinder, the greater the leverage, hense the less force is
required.

Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland     1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO  CT3479E
fold@bcpl.net