RE: TR6 Clutch

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Clutch
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 14:07:14 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Peter Zaborski wrote to 'TR6 List':

> > I would hate to design a mechanical system the travels
> > from the right side way over and down to the left side of
> > the transmission!
>
> Actually it is not as difficult as you make it sound Dave. My GTI is
> LHD uses a mechanical clutch and I am sure the RHD versions don't do
> anything much different. The secret is a cable actuated mechanism. The
> cable can be routed just as easily as the hydraulic line. Other than
> the need for periodic adjustment (due to cable stretch) it is a pretty
> painless solution. And far less messy!

True, but when these cars were new cable-operated clutches were not
common.  The main issue was reliability.  That was before the advent of
teflon-lined or nylon-lined cable sheathing, and cable life was short if
the cable wasn't kept well-lubricated.  Cable-operated clutches are very
common today, because the linings used in the outer casing does away with
the need for lubrication and reliability is consequently very good.

Some manufacturers chose hydraulic actuation because cramped quarters made
it impossible to fit in a purely mechanical lever and rod linkage.  Other
felt that hydraulic actuation was smoother and a mark of quality.

Then there were the early T-Type MGs (TA/TB/TC), where the linkage was a
piece of chain between the bottom of the clutch pedal lever and the lever
on the throwout bearing cross shaft.  Or the even earlier MGs where the
clutch pedal was right on the end of the throwout bearing cross shaft.
Talk about direct action!

Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland     1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO  CT3479E
fold@bcpl.net