RE: TR4 Made By Honda?

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Made By Honda?
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:22:42 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Kai, please understand, I mean no disrespect of your opinions. And again, I
am NOT a Honda fan, just trying to be objective.

> Don't tell me that the name Honda doesn't evoke images of
> your daily commute to work or the grocery store parking lot,
> or perhaps the used car lot in your town.

Yes the Honda name evokes images of appliances containing lemmings all
moving in blind unison at the posted speed limit (probably in the fast
lane!). Another image is that of riced out Civics making all sorts of ugly
burbling noises from their coffee can exhaust tips. But if you consider the
heritage of Triumphs, you would have to see at least the former vision also
if you understand the heritage of the Triumph company. Most Triumphs sold in
the world were not sporty at all but rather sedans (Heralds and Vitesses
come to mind, the 2xxx series saloons, and even a joint project with Honda
called the Acclaim).

> Honda may participate in motor sports, but that again doesn't
> make their corporate appearance any more sportier.

2. So what exactly makes for a sporty image if not participating in auto
sports?

> Honda is still a player in F1, with it's SuperTec engine...

Actually their Mugen subsidiary are the engine supplier to the Jordan team.
Supertec is the ex-Renault engine spin-off outfit managed by Flavio Briatore
(and owned partly by Bernie Ecclestone!). Next year Honda will be supplying
BAR (and possibly Jordan).

> then agian they make lawn mower engines also.

So what, Porsche makes toasters and pens. Ferrari makes sunglasses (or at
least licenses them). Are you suggesting they are not sports cars? (In which
case we are looking at this issue from vastly different perspectives)

> As for Triumph, well the word Triumph just brings to mind winning,
> overcoming, beating... etc.  Coupled with the reputation it's
> sportscars have and hold, well the Triumph name is truely one
> that stands for sports car.

I think you are exaggerating the images of Triumphs as far as winning. I
don't think that Triumph is regarded by anyone as a successful racing
manufacturer. I love my TR6 but have no delusions about its racing heritage
(or rather lack of one).

> Now, if anyone wants to see a real sports car. (or tourer in
> some of your minds); I suggest a look at the new BMW Z9
> concept car.  And unlike the S2000, the Z9 makes some
> incredible torque (most likely low in the rev range), due to
> it's 3.9L diesel engine.  The styling is also very sleek and
> handsome.

Interesting you would consider a car with a diesel engine to be sporty. I
personally like the Z8 and would consider it to be a "sports" car. The Z9
appears to be more of a GT cruiser. And I am not sure at all about a diesel.
I wonder if Ferrari are developing a diesel for their cars? Or the F1 engine
suppliers? :-)

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO ---
(btw, I think we are swaying off topic for this list)