Re: TR4 Made By Honda?

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradick1@ic3.ithaca.edu>, "Peter Zaborski" <peterz@merak.com>, "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 Made By Honda?
From: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 22:43:16 -0500
> From: Kai M. Radicke <kradick1@ic3.ithaca.edu>

> Don't tell me that the name Honda doesn't evoke images of your daily
commute
> to work or the grocery store parking lot, or perhaps the used car lot in
> your town.  Honda may participate in motor sports, but that again doesn't
> make their corporate appearance any more sportier.

Perhaps you forget that in TRiumph's home market, they sold far more
saloons than sports cars. The Spitfire evolved from the Herald saloon. Does
that make it any less sporty? No way.

Honda makes sedans. They are competant and boring. They also make some
remarkably fun to drive sporty cars. My Prelude makes 200 HP out of 2.2
liters at 7000 rpm. At 5000 rpm, it feels like 2 more cylinders have kicked
in. It does this on pump gas. My 4A makes about 160 HP out of just under
2.2 liters (87 mm pistons) and requires racing gas and a straight pipe to
do it.

If the rest of the world felt like us, TRiumph and MG and Austin-Healey
would still be alive. I wish it were so. I have owned my TR6 since new, and
I can't foresee any circumstance where I will ever sell it. I am smitten by
it and my 4A. I could never be smitten by my Prelude. That doesn't mean it
isn't fun to drive or worthwhile owning. I know TR lovers who feel the same
way about their (gasp) Miatas.

I am not a Honda dealer, and I am not telling you all to run out and buy
one. Just open your minds a little. There are some really fun to drive cars
out there that get bashed on this list regularly just because they aren't
TR's. It is fun to have a high performance car to run around in when the TR
isn't up to the task.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
TR4A CT52499 VSCDA Group 2 #58