Re: TRF Nightmare

To: Jim Davis <jh_davis@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: TRF Nightmare
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 11:53:26 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: amdixon@erols.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Jim Davis wrote:

> Bob,

Hi Jim.

>       I agree that banks and most other financial institutions are greedy and
> poorly regulated in respect to protecting the average banking customer.
> However the states, not the federal government regulate banking
> practices within their borders. Local legislators should and would be
> more responsive if citizens would contact them with their local concerns
> instead of expecting relief from the federal government on matters to
> which the constitution gave Washington no authority. Being from New
> England, a state representative must reside in your town or very close
> by. Contact them and let the federal representatives concern themselves
> with truly national concerns like providing for our common defense and
> regulating international trade.

I guess you're correct... however, the lines are changing, and state
regulations won't amount to a hill of beans in the near future. How about
banks operating in the State of Massachusetts owned and operated by a
bank in Japan or Sri Lanka... I hate to say it, but the feds will
probably have to do something sometime. Regardless, my particular US
representatives don't give a rats arse about what I think. And I do send
them letters and I do call them.

Let's not get into a "states rights" debate. I agree with individual
states' autonomy. I do need to bring out the salient point that "the
lines are dissolving". Who knows, maybe in our life there won't be a
USofA or a UK or a Massachusetts or a Georgia or whatever. If any of us
claim to know what will happen - well, let's just say we might be kidding
ourselves.

>       I don't want Ted Kennedy & Barney Frank having much to do with the
> internal affairs of GA, any more than most folks in MA want Bob Barr or
> Paul Coverdell having anything to do with affairs in their state.

Ah, the ol' BF & TK thing. Well frankly - pun intended - I am so far
misaligned politically with either of these two gentlemen (for lack of a
better term) that I could say I'm insulted that you even bring their
names up. I'm not insulted, but I could be. I appreciate the two folks as
being an opposition voice in the legislative branch - the country
actually needs that. But I don't agree with those two very often - if ever.

FWIW, the most local US Rep. to me doesn't even own property in the
district that he "represents". He lists his parent's address... this is a
50+ year old person that owns a $400k residence in Fairfax, VA. Nothing
against folks from VA, but do you think this guy has any clue what his
constituents think?? I don't think so. BTW, this gentleman puts his name
on a lot of bills ostensibly deregulating the communications industry.
Have your phone rates gone down???

> I guess your statement touched a sore place with me,

Sorry to say Jim - ditto. Bringing up Ted or Barney also touch a sore
spot with me. But I'll let it slide. Please don't assume that
because I happen to live in Massachusetts (note: that's 44+ years) that
I'm a flaming liberal. I am not. In fact I'm about as "middle of the road"
as you can get. I don't trust anyone in politics. But I do vote.

And I am growing more cynical of the process everyday. But that doesn't
mean that I'm completely oblivious to things in general. Granted, I do
spend a lot of time hiding in the garage, but I am part of the process
one way or the other.

> Jim Davis
> Fortson, GA
> CF38690UO
> CF37325U
>
> >... and I'm appalled that our wonderful
> > lawmakers in Washington don't do anything about it. The banks are just
> > plain greedy...

... and the banks are just plain greedy.

Have a nice day.
rml
CF14111U
CC27777U
CC83xxxU
CR1871UO - yes, that's CR and no, it's not fuel injected... yet.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |