RE: TR250 Overheating Problem

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR250 Overheating Problem
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:48:50 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"

Not a dumb question at all. However, why do people seem to place such a high
premium on having the Smiths temp gauge at a specific point? I think the
real question is what is the normal operating *temperature* range (in
degrees) of a TR250 or TR6.

The temp gauge on the TR250/6 cars was not so precise as to even bother with
temp values on the scale. (I think some earlier TRs and other Triumphs may
have had temp values). Furthermore, the gauge only uses about 100 degrees of
"sweep" (ie the scale is only about 1/4 of a full circle), which diminishes
the accuracy of the gauge even more. It is clearly not designed as a precise
measure of an actual temperature in degrees. On top of that, the sender may
be imprecisely calibrated, further adding to the imprecision of the reading
on the gauge. And of course the gauge runs off the voltage stabilizer -- are
these all calibrated exactly the same? Doubt it.

So my suggestion is, if you are really concerned about what *temp* your car
runs at, measure the temp with a known accurate gauge or thermometer. If
that temp falls within your desired specs, see what reading the Smiths gauge
produces for your measured temp. Then just live with that and monitor how
the temp varies. As long as it stays in the "normal" range you should be
fine. Don't worry about what other TR250s' gauges read, they may have a
different calibration of sender, gauge and VS (not intentional from the
factory I'm sure but just differences caused by production run diffs,
manufacturer diffs etc.).

Or calibrate your own setup to see what the C, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 & H marks
really mean on your gauge (in terms of temp values). But understand that if
you change either the gauge, sender (or even the voltage stabilizer) you may
have to recalibrate everything over again. But once it's calibrated, you'll
have a better idea of what temp your car is running at in various
conditions.

Or install a mechanical gauge with 270 degrees of sweep for a more precise
indication of temperature.

Just don't believe the Smiths gauge is a high precision indicator of a
specific temp that is the same on all TR250 & TR6. I think it is just there
to inform you of big variations form the "normal" readings. Then I would be
concerned.

Hope this doesn't sound too long winded...

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO ---