TR250 Overheating Problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR250 Overheating Problem
From: Highway Star <highwaystar@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:20:33 EDT
Cc: angelfj@erols.com, emanteno@ibm.net, levilevi@home.com, rgb@exact.com
Irv, Bud, Frank, Roger and Folks of theTriumph world :

Ok, I asked this question before and got many responses.  My car was
running hot after the engine was rebuilt, guage read very close to the
red mark. The three popular fixes offered from the list was:

1-Thermostat
2-Timing
3-Radiator

Here's what I've done:

Timing is perfect, just had the carbs tuned. Car still running hot.
Then took car to Radiator man, he looked at the coolant (recently
changed, and said it looks mucky) and he put a guage in the radiator and
the car is running hot, so the car guage is correct. He then checked the
radiator for plugs with his special tool.  He said I'm 99% sure your
radiator isn't plugged. I said ok, how about the thermostat? He says,
maybe. So he installed a Thermostat, the guy who rebuilt my engine didn't
put one in it...do you believe it!!!!...it's true. Car runs cooler, but
not much after fifteen minutes of idle, it reads at 60% and goes up to
80% of the car guage.

Here are my other options:  New water pump, which I'm planning to change
tomorrow.  Then tackle the radiator

I need some advise, before I get too deep again, and I have a very
frieghtening question:

 What could have the engine rebuilt guy had done if none of the fixes
above solves the problem?  That is, is it possible a gasket is
misinstalled?  What hole could be plugged during a re-built that would
contribute to this?  Does the engine have to be pulled apart for any of
this?  Oh man, I'm really worried now.

Thanks very much in advance-
Pouya