Re: engine #s

To: LBPB1@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: engine #s
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 17:45:04 EDT
In a message dated 99-10-16 07:31:52 EDT, LBPB1@aol.com writes:

<< I just bought a '69 Mk3 Spit, but
 in all my books on the history of the car  I cant seem to find the engine
 number. There is no listing for numbers starting with F E . They just jump
 from F D  to F H. Anyone know know what happened to E,  F,  and G in the
line
 up? Thanks in advance for the info! >>

The engine number on my '70 Mk3 is stamped on a small horizontal flat area on
the rear of the block on the driver's side (LHD) i.e., you can read it
looking down onto the block.  My engine number is FE79710E (twin SUs).

I don't have a build certificate for the Spit but from the Commission Number
it appears to be of early 1970 vintage.  As I interpret engine info provided
in the SpitBits 1962-1970 Parts Catalog, the '67 & '68 MK3 engines had FD1E
numbers and 1969 and 1970 engines had FE numbers.  It looks like the 1970
Spit engines started with FE81555E so maybe I really have a '69 engine?

As for your Spit, your engine number should be an FExxxxxE and be numbered
less than or equal to 81155.....

Good luck,

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (Being Reborn For Y2K)