TR3 Girling Master Cylinders versus PBR made in Australia

To: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Girling Master Cylinders versus PBR made in Australia
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 12:04:41 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Scions,

The adventure continues....

I ordered the $65 Girling M/C from TrueChoice, as I discussed in an earlier
post.  It is a new Girling M/C, but the operating lever is about 1.25 inches
too short.  No problem, I can swap it out for my old one.

Now I find out that the reservoir tap on the M/C isn't large enough to
accept the fitting on the pipe I have running from the reservoir.
TrueChoice, who has been very supportive on this issue, says the Girling
Drawing indicates this should be a 7/16-20 thread.  I don't have a 7/16-20
bolt yet, but my tap won't go.   TrueChoice was able to thread a bolt right
into one off their shelf.

To add to the confusion, I don't have Girling M/C's on my car.  I have PBR
brand, made in Australia.  These are almost identical to the Girling, except
they don't have the sailfin like projection between the two pressure taps on
the M/C.

The questions are:

1.      Does anyone know the correct Girling thread sizes on the Master
Cylinder?

2.      Is anyone familiar with the PBR (made in Australia) M/C, a near perfect
knockoff of the Girling and which does seem like a perfect fit for the Lucas
M/C rebuild kit sold by Moss.

I am planning on simply rebuilding both my clutch and brake M/C's so I have
the car back this weekend, but I'd like to know for the future, if I have
odd sized fitting on my low pressure reservoir line, or if this M/C I
received is not as original.

Thanks for any light you can shed on my predicament,

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A
1974 Norton 850 Commando
Hillsdale, NJ