Re: TR6 Questions

To: lalong@vt.edu
Subject: Re: TR6 Questions
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 16:29:47 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi,

With regard to bumper over-riders...

Tom Long - funny that you bought your Triumph up here in Tax-a-chu-setts.
And the dealer suggested the over-riders. My family's second TR6 came from
the show room with the bars on it. It was a dealer add-on item, but the
parts did come from England. As an aside, the chrome was peeling from ours
from the day that we bought the car... when asked, the dealer assured us
that a new bumper would be provided and installed at no cost. We finally
straightened that whole thing out sometime about 12 months after the
initial purchase. The story involves a "plater's strike", several brand new
bumpers and lots of lost time from work, but I digress.

When I first put my red car back on the road 10 years ago, I did not
re-install the over-riders at first due to lack of cash for replating them.
I went to a lot of shows and watched "critic" after "critic" point to the
mounting holes on the bumpers and offer "theories" as to thier real purpose
while simultaniously shaking thier heads the the car was not "complete". As
an aside, this is one reason that I hate to show my car now... I can't
stand the "critics". Although I have entered the car in concours, I never
will again unless it really gets the complete once-over. But I digress
again! WOW.

If you look at the following URL:

http://www.vtr.org/conventions/vtr99/VTR99autocross2.htm

and look at the car in the top right (mine), you'll see the nurf bar.

It used to be that you didn't see too many of these cars with the bars, but
now I'm seeing more and more. It might be because I have them on my car so
I notice them, but I am seeing more and more of them.

Now for a secret. The real reason I won the M4 class in the autocross at
VTR '99 is those bars... the additional weight at the extreme limits of the
car provides additional downforce in the corners.

;-)

Anyway, the over-riders were a dealer/factory option that I've had on and
off of my car for the last 25 years.

Later,
rml

Bob Lang      | TR 6 Guy           | Editor: New England Triumphs
Phone:        | 617-253-7438 (days)| 781-438-2568 (eves)
Occupation:   | ComputerZ          | TR fixer-Upper