Re: Spedi Sleeve

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Subject: Re: Spedi Sleeve
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 11:05:16 -0700
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>

"Kai M. Radicke" wrote:

> For those wanting to see how a Speedi Sleeve is installed... or where to get
> them, here are two websites:
>
> 1.    http://chicago-rawhide.com/auto/speedi/speedi.htm  -  the
> manufacturer's website
>
> 2.    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/rearaxle/hub_11.htm  -
> Barney Gaylord's web pages, in which he provides step by step instructions
> and pictures about using a Speedi Sleeve to repair his MGA (use the small
> arrows at the bottom of the page to navigate the steps).

These things work pretty well, and are a quite typical repair on diesel
engines, where the cost of a new crankshaft is _very_ substantial.

Unfortunately, our local Speedi-Sleeve dealer says they don't make one
in the range required for the rear seal surface of a GT6 crank. If
anyone else has come up with a solution to that one, please let me know.
I'm probably going to have to take the crank back to the crank grinder
and have the necessary 0.003" ground off so the closest size sleeve will
fit properly, since the sleeve itself will bring the diameter back to
normal. Nevertheless, I'd like to avoid the additional grinding cost, so
if anyone knows of a similar sleeve in the correct size, please advise.

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM