Radiator Repair Advice

To: "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Radiator Repair Advice
From: "Bob Danielson" <75trsix@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 16:45:20 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
I pulled the radiator over the weekend and want to have it professionally
"cleaned". There's 2 shops in town that have been here for as long as I can
remember....... back to the 50's. One shop is a small garage, one man
operation, does nothing but radiators who removes the top/bottom and runs a
brush through every rod, seals it back up and pressure tests it for $50. The
other larger shop does radiator repair and general maintenance but only
recommends "rodding" as a last resort, especially on older radiators.
They'll flow test it, then some kind of "bath" and then flow & pressure test
it - $55. I've heard good and bad about "rodding" a radiator. One lister had
a bad experience due to rusty parts that couldn't be repaired. A visual
inspection shows my radiator to be in good shape. A flushed it last spring
and it ran clear and I don't have an overheating problem. So why am I doing
this??? It's winter and I need to do something plus I'll get to paint it
before putting it back in. Any recommendations on rodding vs. not rodding?
Thanks
Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 Status at
http://pages.cthome.net/BobD