Torque wrench woes

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Torque wrench woes
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 13:29:49 -0800charset="Windows-1252"
For the the first time in my life I bought a torque wrench.  I probably
don't need one, but I see in Bentley that every TR6 nut and bolt has a
specific torque recommendation.  (Here comes the neophyte once again.)  I
bought the kind that "clicks" and I decided to test it out on my son's
Suzuki Swift while changing the oil.  (The manual has a torque
recommendation for the oil drain plug.)  I first tested the wrench on a
couple of unimiportant bolts, and it worked fine.  So I changed the oil and
filter.  Then I went to tighten down the drain bolt with my handy-dandy new
wrench.  I set the dial, reefed on the bolt, putting pressure on it, but the
wrench didn't "click".  I decided I wasn't cranking hard enough, although my
experience told me the bolt was plenty tight.  Okay, I cranked harder.  No
"click".  Harder still.  I stopped and tried again, etc.  No "click". Then,
oops!  I felt the whole bolt give way.  Of course, I thought I'd stripped
the threads (and so did my wife, by the sound of the cursing coming from the
garage).  . . .but luckily, it turns out I'd crushed the drain plug
gasket---and it was this that caused the bolt to suddenly give way as it
smashed the gasket down.  Later in the day, I replaced that gasket, got out
my normal old socket wrench and tightened up the bolt in the normal "snug"
manner to which I'm accustomed.

Am I missing something here?  THIS is the kind of experience that causes
people to never want to work on cars, period.  A simple task that results in
a near disaster.  This wrench is supposed to "click" and it didn't---at
least not at that angle.  I might have stripped the threads in the drain
plug, causing no end of automotive hell.  So did I buy a bad wrench?  The
wrong wrench?  Is the "click" so subtle that only an expert can feel it at
certain angles?  I took the wrench back to Tool Town and got my money back.
Comments?

--Phil Haldeman
haldeman@accessone.com