RE: Radiator Repair Advice

To: TR Newsgroup <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Bob Danielson <75trsix@snet.net>
Subject: RE: Radiator Repair Advice
From: Gary & Priscilla Klein <gklein@toad.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 19:04:07 -0500
Bob,

Here's another consideration you might want to try.

Last Summer as I was nearing completion of my restoration and the
radiator was nearing its time to go back in, I wondered what to do about
it before installation.  I have a workmate, owner of a TVR, and member
of the National TVR club.  In a newsletter from last year, an
advertisement appeared for a radiator shop, in nearby Gaithersburg MD.
My friend stated that the owner was a TVR owner, too, so I decided to
give him a ring to see what he suggested.

The owner, Glen Gonzales, Custom Radiators (NFI just glad to have gotten
some good advice.  Read on.) talked about LBC's for quite a bit.  He
stated that he'd modified some TR6 radiators for customers in Arizona
with a 5 tube cores that reportedly worked just fine.  I asked him about
"rodding" my radiator and he said that he had to ask me a question
first.  "Was it overheating before I tore the car apart?"  I said no and
then he stated that all he would really do is to do a flo test but that
since it was so simple, I could do it myself.  Here's how.

Holding your hand over the lower pipe, fill the radiator full with
water.  Then take your hand off the lower pipe and observe how the water
drains out of the radiator.  If it gushes out in a solid, fast flowing
stream approximately the same diameter as the lower pipe then it flows
just fine.  Anything less and it needs service.

Mine flowed like it was in a rush to get the water out of it.

For what it's worth,

Gary
Digest
'75 TR6

Mon, 14 Feb 2000 16:45:20 -0500
Bob Danielson wrote;

> I pulled the radiator over the weekend and want to have it
professionally
> "cleaned". There's 2 shops in town that have been here for as long as
I can