RE: Radiator Repair Advice

To: "'Triumph'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Radiator Repair Advice
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 14:35:49 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Bob :

Rodding is a bit hard on a radiator, and may damage a marginal one that
could have been reused otherwise.  But, IMO, it does a much better job at
cleaning the passages than just 'boiling out'.  So, I always have mine
rodded out, unless the radiator man tells me it will likely ruin the
radiator, and I can't afford a new one (or recore) at the moment.  Another
point : tubes that are too fragile to be rodded may break at any time.

Given all the hassle involved, I feel it's a false economy to put back a
radiator that is too far gone to be rodded, but of course sometimes you
gotta do what you gotta do.  Probably depends too on how long you plan to
keep the car.  I always plan on keeping mine forever <g>

OTOH, I can see the radiator man's point of view, too.  He probably really
hates having to tell you that he ruined your "perfectly good" radiator by
trying to rod it out.  And if the weak tube blows out next month, you are a
lot less likely to blame him.

Randall