Re: overflow tank question

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: overflow tank question
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@azstarnet.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 20:14:22 -0700
Graham Stretch wrote:

> Use the tinsnips and the hacksaw to shorten down the lugs (on the cap) that
> hold the cap to the rad the 13lb cap has longer lugs to prevent
> confusion/crossing with the 7lb cap, the extra 6lb raise the boiling point a
> few degrees.

Doesn't this (increasing pressure from 7 lbs to 13 lbs) put additional strain on
the radiator... possibly promoting a leak?

On my 'other' car I went from a 13 lbs to a 7 lbs cap just because the rad is 20
years old and I thought that would help it last longer.  Yes it (higher
pressure) raises the boiling point of the coolant but can't also be done by
changing the coolant mix if you don't need protection to -60° or whatever a
50/50 mix provides?

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A (with the wimp 4 lb cap)
Tucson, AZ