Re: JUDGES question....TR-3A dash recovering and metal clips

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: JUDGES question....TR-3A dash recovering and metal clips
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:42:12 EST
Cc: 105671.471@compuserve.com
In a message dated 17-Feb-00 12:02:34 Eastern Standard Time,
105671.471@compuserve.com writes:

> 10 to 20 minutes is typical.  30 minutes if the judges are feeling a bit
>  anal.
>  Would they notice the clips or the absence there of?  I don't know.  Would
>  they notice philips head screws where slotted ones should be?  Yup.
>
>  I'm speaking of VTR.  I have no experience with TRA.
>
>  Dave Massey

Right, but remember that the amount of points taken off is not large.  You
start with 400 points.  You then get points deducted for "discrepancies."
Many folks will not enter concours because they feel that every little ding
or bump will cost points.

That is not how it works.  For example, if you have many paint dings, you
don't get a point off for each ding.  You get a reasonable amount (say five
points) off for "paintwork."  I was amazed at the VTR SE Regional last year
at the number of folks who would not enter concours because they didn't
understand how the judging works.  The judges are NOT trying to "get you."
They are trying to compare your car to the original specs. NOT to the other
cars.  The amount of points taken off are not excessive.  To win you must
have a minimum number of points left from the 400 (1st place 350, 2nd place
300 ad 3rd place 250).  Believe me the car would have to be really bad to
lose 150points).  The car with the most points above that minimum wins.

My car is a daily driver and I never get 1st place -- but that's fine.  I
probably could if I spent more time on the cosmetic aspects, but I choose not
to do that.  I don't lose points for originallity because I've owned the car
from new and try to replace parts with original or reasonably original parts.
 so I take my knocks for the paint job or chrome but have never gone below
300 points.  AND -- It is fun to watch the judging when you are on the field
yourself and to receive any award.  Plus I learn more each time I enter the
car in concourse.

I talked one fellow into going concours and he won an award.  He was scared
to death before the show but told me later it was the best thing he had ever
done.  He was very proud of his award (it was not 1st place) and what he
learned spurred him on to work on his car.  IMO

Art Kelly