TR3 Clutch Hydraulics not working

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Clutch Hydraulics not working
From: Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:23:11 -0500

I rebuilt and installed both the brake and clutch master cylinders and the
clutch slave cylinder on my '60 TR3A. I was careful to replace the small
circular check-valve springs, and lubricated the seals on the pistons with
brake fluid. I also installed a new fluid reservoir (2-in-one type) with
new fittings, and replaced all the flexible hoses. Using the 2-person
manual way of bleeding (I'm too cheap to buy an EZ-Bleed type system!), I
was able to succesfully bleed the brake lines, but the clutch system is not
working at all. No fluid is being drawn from the reservoir into the master
cylinder. I've done this rebuild several times before on my '58, and don't
remember having this problem. Is it possible that the clutch master
cylinder needs to be "primed" somehow, maybe by removing the steel lines
and injecting some fluid into the cylinder? But why is one cylinder working
and not the other? Any other ideas?

Jeff Williamson
Belleville, MI
'58 TR3A