RE: Silicon Brake fluid ?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Silicon Brake fluid ?
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:15:12 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Here we go again !

Chris, there are two camps of people, those who hate DOT 5, and those who
love it.  Personally, I am in the second camp.  I have used it in all my
cars (not just LBCs) for many years, and it has performed flawlessly for me.
The only drawback I've found is that you have to use a special solvent to
get it off of anything you want to paint (otherwise you get 'fisheyes').

To get the full benefit of silicone, you should disassemble, drain and flush
the system.  Many people suggest also replacing all the rubber, since you
have it apart anyway.

But, to just quit ruining your paint, you can just drain the old fluid and
fill/bleed with the new.  One caution : Silicone does have a tendency to
foam when mixed with air, so try not to agitate it too much.  When filling
the reservoir, it's probably best to use a clean screwdriver or something,
for the fluid to run down into the reservoir.  Otherwise, the tiny bubbles
created will get sucked into the system and give you a somewhat spongy
pedal.  If you are just topping off, it doesn't matter, as the bubbles will
have a chance to separate before being sucked into the MC.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver