[Fwd: Any SU 6 Gurus? Maybe a fuel problem?]boundary="------------F6AC2

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fwd: Any SU 6 Gurus? Maybe a fuel problem?]boundary="------------F6AC276C10DF3FFDF77B0150"
From: levilevi@home.com
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 18:21:18 -0700
--------------F6AC276C10DF3FFDF77B0150

Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 17:22:35 -0700
From: levilevi@home.com
To: Mike Mason <mmason@lindenwood.edu>
Subject: Any SU 6 Gurus?  Maybe a fuel problem?

Mike, Have you also had any idling problems?  E.g. a hunting idle or a
big idle drop when the engine decelerates?  Is the flooding every time
or every once in awhile?

If nothing else the list suggests works you may want to try taking the
bottom of float chamber off with the carbs still on the car.  (I don't
know if this is possible with SU carbs but I recently did it on my ZS
equipped TR6.)  Carefully pour the contents into a very clean bowl
(white if you can sneak one out of the kitchen).  If you see little
black specs (or big specs for that matter) you may have the same
flooding problem I had/have.  Contaminated fuel.  Easiest thing to do is
put another inline fuel filter between the fuel pump and carbs and
replace the one you should have between the tank and the pump.  Now put
the float chamber bottoms back on and try it out, you may have to do
take them off one more time to get the crud out that was in the dual
line to your carbs or left in the carbs.

I've had a hunting idle/idle drop/rough running/ problem forever that
I've been trying to solve (those that have been on the list for the last
two years can probably remember my pleadings for help).  It wasn't until
I asked recently about fuel pressure settings for a fuel regulator
(another wrongheaded attempt at a solution) that Roger Bolick suggested
the black spec inspection.  It solved all of those idle problems I was
having because the specs were making the grose jets stick open
intermittently and causing flooding/too rich mixture/etc.  Grose jets
seem to be even more susceptable to black specs than the regular needle
jets (my opinion..more little holes on the grose jets that a black spec
can get into than the needle valve has).  I now have a number (3) of
filters and extended fuel lines trying to clear the system of this stuff
and will change them all every month until the crud is gone.  BTW the 6
is idling much better thanks to Roger's advice.

Bud Rolofson