Re: Stuborn Shift Lever Cap

To: suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Stuborn Shift Lever Cap
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@borg.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 20:41:52 -0500
Scott,

The reason you are having a hard time is probably aluminum corrosion. The
way I attacked this problem a few years back was to gently tap the shift
lever cap up  evenly with a small chisle or screwdriver. Use a very light
hammer. Dont be over-anxious or you may crack the top cover.  I dont think
heat will help because the aluminum will probably expand at a faster rate
then the steel cap. You may try with some penatrating oil and heat to try
and get some oil in the corrosion though. After you remove the cover,
lightly sand the aluminum to remove the corrosion. Make sure the cover fits
and comes off with ease before you put the bolt in. It is also a good idea
to use some grease on the aluminum to prevent further corrosion during
re-assembly. Good luck!

Bob Labuz
1958 TR3A
1974 T140V