Re: Stuborn Shift Lever Cap

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stuborn Shift Lever Cap
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 09:19:21 -0500
suhring wrote:

> I have encountered a very stubborn shift lever cap as I continue to tear
>
> down my TR3 restoration. I have been soaking it with PB Blaster
> for a week and it won't budge. I have removed the cap retaining bolt and
>
> rear bolt (just so you're sure). Are these puppies prone to seize up or
> is there
> a trick to get these off. The manual indicates that you just remove the
> bolts
> and lift it off. Yea, right!
>
> Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Scott Suhring
> Elizabethtown, PA
> '70 TR6
> '59 TR3

Scott,

I have a small oil filter strap wrench that works great for loosening them up -
just
spin a few times until the corrosion breaks free and it'll pop right off under
the
internal spring pressure.  You might just want to check to see if your strap
wrench is
small enough to fit it.

Cheers!

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars