Re: MotoLita wheels

To: amace@unix2.nysed.gov, silvestre.ortiz@cditx.com
Subject: Re: MotoLita wheels
From: TexasTR4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 12:32:48 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 03/07/2000 7:12:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
amace@unix2.nysed.gov writes:

<<
 I've always used a "suitable drift" on the head of the column shaft
 itself. (I leave the retaining nut on loosely in case I or another oaf
 misses with heavy hammer blows.) A couple of taps on the drift while
 someone else is pulling upwards on the wheel itself should free the wheel
 quickly. It really doesn't take a whole lot of effort.

 --Andy

This is how I've always gotten them off...of course in the old days the
"suitable drift"  was a 1" OD brass rod about 8 inches long.

I have no idea where you could even buy one of these today.  The copper faced
hammer used to bugger up knock offs would probably work too.

Just dont use steel and peen over the end of the steering shaft or otherwise
damage the threads.

A "steering wheel puller" used to cost less than $10 at one of the Harbor
Freight type of tool outlets.

R. Houston