Re: * Shiny bolts and timing cover booby *

To: wbrazinski <wbrazinski@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: * Shiny bolts and timing cover booby *
From: Jim Bauder <jimbpps@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 10:54:20 -0800
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Wayne,

I haven't seen an answer to your question regarding the sound deadener
on the timing cover. I had a similar problem to yours with my TR3 and
solved it rather cheaply as I definitely wanted the car to be as
original as I could get it.

When I rebuilt my engine I accidentally removed a good bit of the
sound deadener before I realized what I was doing. I bought a spray
can of sound deadener that is designed to be used under stainless
steel sinks to reduce the noise of the water splashing against the
plain steel. I first painted the cover gloss black and then masked the
flat part off  and sprayed several quotes of the sink sound deadener,
allowing time for it to set up several days between coats. I did have
to touch up the paint here and there but it looks original, although
the sound deadener is not as thick as the original coating. Works for
me, although YMMV!

Jim Bauder
'58 TR3
Palo Alto, CA