Re: * Shiny bolts and timing cover booby *

To: wbrazinski <wbrazinski@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: * Shiny bolts and timing cover booby *
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 21:05:48 -0700
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

wbrazinski wrote:

> 1) Is it possible to make the old grungy bolts nice and shiny without
> hand polishing each one?

No

> I know that some feel I should not re-use the
> old bolts because they may not be "good" anymore.  Is this true?

Not necessarily, but if you replace them, you won't have to worry about
the first part!

> 2) I accidentally scraped off the acoustical material on the front of
> the timing chain cover.  It was buried beneath the "gunk" and before I
> knew it it was gone!  Any good ideas on how to replace it?

Don't!  The stuff is ugly and there is nothing like the sound of a good
timing chain!

> 3) I'm probably going to try "Realy Healy" for my parts (10% discount on
> the major 3 (4?)), but I remember one lister had bought pistons/liners
> from British Parts North West. I seem to remember they were rated as
> "good", but they are SOOOO much cheaper.  I was raised with "you get
> what you pay for".  What am I missing?

Sometimes you get what you "don't pay for"  You have to shop around.
BPNW has not let me down and I have rebuilt 2 Spitfire engines using
their parts!

Regards,
Joe Curry

--