Machine shop work

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Machine shop work
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 19:52:02 -0500
I am in the process of a transmission rebuild.  I have 2 transmissions apart and
they BOTH have had layshaft failure by delamination of the hardened surface
at the rear bearing near the 1st laygear.

It would appear that the hardness of the surface or the depth of the hardening
is not adequate for the force the needle rollers apply.

I want to get my new layshaft hardened better (more?) (deeper?).  Before
I make a lot of phone calls, is this something most machine shops can do?
If not, then whom?

Also, for those of you with tranny experience, is my impression correct that
this
area is a high failure rate area?  This and the top hat bushing?

-Tony